Text ads are a form of contextual advertising. This type of advertising is usually used with a cost per click (CPC) model, though they can also be used with cost per impression (CPM), cost per action (CPA), or cost per play (CPP) models. Text ads are often associated with Google AdWords. These advertisements are shown above and/or below the search results offered on a search engine. As per Google, a text ad is a “marketing communication that advertisers can use to promote their products or services on the Google Network”. They have become a standard format used in a pay per click marketing campaign. On Google’s AdSense, a text contains the name of a company, the website, and a few short, yet concise lines of copy.
Elements of a Text Ad
A text ad contains three specific parts:
- A headline. The headline is the first thing that people notice in a text ad, as it is the largest component of the ad, which makes it the most visible.
- Display URL. The URL of the webpage is also displayed in a text ad and it contains the domain portion of your final URL. This appears on the bottom of the advertisement, usually in green. Once a user clicks on the text ad, he or she will be directed to the webpage of the URL.
- A description. The description is the first element listed in a display ad. It highlights the pertinent information that a visitor can find when clicking on the ad and is redirected to the webpage.
The Benefits of a Text Ad
There are several benefits that a text ad can offer. Here’s a look at the most notable advantages that this marketing strategy can offer:
- Easy to implement. Text ads are extremely easy to put into practice. They only take a short period of time to implement.
- They are effective. Text ads have been proven to increase the visibility of a brand, as they appear either on top of, below, or alongside the search engine results of a user’s search query.
- They increase authority of a brand. Users tend to trust ads that appear in their search queries, which helps to increase their authority.
Disadvantages of Text Ads
Though text ads can offer definite benefits for business owners, there are also some disadvantages associated with them. Some of the cons associated with text ads include the following:
- They can blend into the background of search results, which means that users may overlook them.
- If they aren’t executed properly, it is highly likely that a text ad won’t offer the results that an advertiser hopes for.
Getting the Most out of Text Ads
In order to get the most out of text ads, it is important for advertisers to ensure that they are generated in a way that will capture the attention of users and increase the likelihood that they will click on them. Here are some tips to keep that will help you get the most out of your text ads:
- Create an attention-grabbing headline. Make sure you create a headline that will capture the attention of your audience. It should be engaging and make them want to click on the ad.
- Make your descriptions clear and insightful. Before clicking on a text ad, users will read the description. To encourage them to click on the ad, make sure that your descriptions are clear, concise, and insightful. Highlight any pertinent information, as well as how clicking on your webpage will answer the questions that users have, or help them find the information that they are looking for.
- Incorporate keywords. By using at least one keyword in your text ads, you can establish its relevance for your intended audience.
- Encourage people to take action. Use words that promote users to take some type of action. For example, you could encourage them to buy a product, find out what products or services you are offering, or join your mailing list.
- Ensure your ad matches your landing page. Once a text ad is clicked on, users will be directed to a landing page. Make sure that the that whatever it is you are highlighting in your text ad is also featured in your landing page.
- Include contact information. Make it easy for users to get in touch with you by including contact information within your text advertisement.
Wrapping it Up
In summary, texts ads can be a very effective strategy to employ in a marketing campaign. They are easy to create, they are easy to optimize, and they can reach a wide audience. By using text ads, you can significantly increase your reach, boost brand awareness, enhance your visibility, and improve the overall success of your business.