Testimonials (© Sikov / Fotolia.com)
Testimonials are exceptionally important for your business. They let would-be customers know what type of experiences other people have had with your company, what they can expect, and whether or not you will deliver what they are looking for. Excellent testimonials not only let people know that the products and services you offer are legit, but that they are so awesome that other people want to share their experiences with them. Countless people rely on the Internet to find products and services that they need. They type in whatever it is that they are looking for in the search engine and they receive a wealth of resources. It stands to reason that they are going to want to make sure that a company is reputable and will deliver outstanding results before the commit to investing their time and money. How can they do that? – By reading testimonials.
Why are Testimonials Important?
In today’s technology-driven climate, it can be hard for consumers to determine if a company they are planning on working with is legitimate. All too often, people are conned by companies that offer certain services or products, and those companies fail to deliver. When this happens, customers waste their hard-earned money and their time, both of which can be exceptionally frustrating.
How can potential customers find out if a company really will deliver on the promises that they make when they can’t have real, tangible contact with the company? – By reading testimonials.
Testimonials are essentially reviews of a company and the products or services that the company offers, made by people who have worked with the organization and used their products or services. In other words, they let would-be customers know what they can expect from a company. People are much more inclined to work with organizations that have stellar testimonials than those whose reviews are subpar.
There are a number of ways that you can collect testimonials for your business. Here’s a look at some of the most effective methods that companies are employing.
- Facebook Reviews. If your business has a Facebook page and it is set up as a local business, it automatically comes with a Reviews tab. Ask happy customers to visit the review section of your Facebook page and encourage them to post their experience. Since so many people rely on Facebook to find businesses that offer products and services they are interested in, this can be a very effective way to attract more attention to your company – and boost your success.
- Amazon reviews. If you sell products on Amazon, customers can easily leave their reviews of the products that they have received. However, often, even the happiest customers fail to leave a review. Encourage them to do so by sending out an email to ask them to rate your products on the site.
- Offer a reward. Another great way to get reviews for your website and your business is to offer an incentive. Even though a customer may be exceptionally happy with a service or product they received, they often don’t have the time to share a testimonial. You can entice them to share their experience by offering them a reward; a discount on a future purchase or a free product, for example.
- Just ask. You can also come right out and ask your customers if they would be willing to write up some testimonials for you. You can either contact them by email or by phone and ask if they would be willing to share their insight about your business and the products or services they received. Add a space onto your website where customers can add their own testimonials, or ask them to send you a quick email that contains their review and you can add it right onto your testimonial page.
The goal of a testimonial is to improve the credibility and reputation of your business so that you can attract more clients and make more sales. In order to do that, you want to make sure that you are using your testimonials the right way. There are some things that you should be doing with your testimonials, and some things that you shouldn’t be doing. Here’s a look at some best practices to keep in mind.
- Never fabricate a testimonial. While it might be enticing to pretend that you are a customer and write up a glowing testimonial, don’t do it. Sure, people might not ever know that you are faking it, but there’s always a chance that they will find out that the review is a lie, and if they do, the ramifications can be severe.
- Make sure they’re positive. It should go without saying that you want your testimonials to be positive, as they are a reflection of your business; however, many companies allow negative testimonials to be placed on their website. That’s a big no-no. If you do receive a negative review, you certainly want to make sure that you handle it properly by reaching out to the customer and making sure that amends are made. However, don’t advertise negativity on your site.
- Know where to place your testimonials. You should have dedicated spot on your website for testimonials and reviews. You might consider having them listed along the bottom of your homepage, or you might want to dedicate an entire page on your site to testimonials. Wherever you choose to display them, make sure that they are easy to see so that prospective customers don’t overlook them.
Start Using Testimonials Today!
If you don’t have any reviews on your website, make it a priority to start collecting them and adding them to your site today! You will be amazed by how much they can attract new customers, boost your sales and increase the overall success of your business. Think about it: how much do you rely on testimonials when you are looking for a company to purchase from?