Expanded Text Ads (© DigiClack / Fotolia.com)
As the name suggests, expanded text ads are text ads that are larger than previous text ads. The longer length of the ad is intended to maximize the presence and performance of a text ad on mobile search results. These ads show across all devices, including desktop and mobile, and they will automatically wrap according the device they are being viewed on.
In this article, we provide an overview of expanded text ads.
Expanded text ads are one of the biggest changes to Google’s AdWords program. The expanded ads format is optimized for mobile devices. The purpose is to increase the engagement with ads and the potential customers of businesses. These ads work seamlessly on all mobile devices, including smartphones and tablets, as well as desktop devices. They provide business owners with a way to infuse their ads with calls to action that are more compelling to consumers, thus leading to increased conversions.
How Expanded Text Ads Compare with Standard Text Ads
Below is a comparison of standard text ads and expanded text ads:
- Standard text ads:
- Ad title – 25 characters
- Ad text – 71 characters
- Display URL – 35 characters, which were entered manually and were prone to errors
- Expanded text ads:
- Ad title – 60 characters, which are comprised of two separate ad titles of 30 characters each that are separate by a hyphen
- Ad text – 80 characters
- Display URL – the domain and subdomain are automatically generated from the final URL, keeping capitalization in place, as well as two URL paths that can be customized
The two headline fields of expanded text ads enable users to include extra content in their ads, which means that they have the ability to create more compelling calls to action, thus increasing the engagement with potential customers.
How to Set Up Expanded Text Ads
Like standard text ads, expanded ads can be accessed via the Google Search Network, as well as the Google Display Network. Expanded text ads are supported by all of the tools that are available in AdWords. Both manual and automatic ad extensions are completely compatible with expanded text ads.
To set up expanded text ads, use the following steps:
- Enter your Google AdWords account.
- Click on the Ads tab, select “create ad”, and then choose an ad group.
- Input the URL of your landing page in the “final URL” box (your final URL has to be longer than 67 characters, including the prefix and the suffix).
- Enters the two separate parts of your ad title, up to 30 characters for each.
- You can enter two sections of the URL path that will be visible to customers in your ad.
- Input the ad text that will appear below the path.
- Hit “save”
The Benefits of Expanded Text Ads
There are several benefits that Google’s expanded text ads can offer business owners. Some of the most notable benefits include:
- Additional copy space. An extra 45 characters might not seem like a lot, but in text ads, it is. With this extra copy space, you can create more compelling calls to action that your potential customers will be able to engage with better.
- Improved click-through rate. With expanded text ads, your click-through rate will improve. That’s because these ads take up more space in the search results and they contain more detailed and pertinent information.
- Mobile friendly. With standard text ads, users have to take into consideration the fact that their ads may not appear the same on mobile devices as they do on desktop devices. With expanded text ads, this isn’t a concern, as they can be viewed seamlessly on all mobile devices, as well as desktop devices.
Given these benefits, business owners who use expanded text ads stand to see a significant increase in the overall success of their company.
Expanded Text Ads Best Practices
If you want to get the most out of expanded text ads, try implementing the following tips:
- Create new ads. Don’t just use description lines that you already have and include a second headline. Doing so won’t make an ad more compelling; instead, you will end up saying the same thing twice. To get the most of expanded text ads, create brand new ads with more compelling text that will spark the interest of viewers and encourage them to click on the ads.
- Feature the most important information in headlines. Though the expanded description space is the largest field in expanded text ads, they still command the least amount of attention. The two headlines are the most attention-grabbing and have the ability to improve your click-through rate. As such, make sure that you include the most pertinent information in your headlines.
- The first headline is the most important. While both headlines can be up to 30 characters long, there’s no real guarantee that the second headline will display. It might extend through the first headline, it could appear after a line break, or it may be truncated by Google. With this in mind, there’s really no way to ensure that your second headline will appear as you intended it to. As such, it’s in your best interest to include the most critical information, including your call to action, in the first headline.
- Generate ads that speak to users on all devices. Because more than half of all of the searches done on Google occur via mobile devices, it’s important that you create ads that will speak to all users – both on desktop and mobile devices. With that in mind, make sure that you are creating calls to action that make sense to users on all devices, and can be completed on all devices.
By following these tips, you can ensure that your expanded text ads will appeal to all viewers, thereby improving the benefits that they can offer.
In summary, expanded text ads can make a world of difference for your click-through rate and substantially increase the success of your business; especially if they are used the right way.