Waste King’s Eight Steps to Being Greener
Waste King’s managing director, Glenn Currie, said: “New Year’s Resolutions are notorious for not being adhered to after the first few days of the New Year. Yet helping to protect our fragile environment and making life better for everyone is something we should all continue to do well beyond the first few weeks of the year!”
Waste King asked its operatives – all of whom are Environment Agency-licensed - for their advice on how to adopt a greener, more environmentally considerate lifestyle. Here’s what they said:
1. Save energy to save money
• Set your thermostat a few degrees lower in the winter and a few degrees higher in the summer to save on heating and cooling costs.
• Install compact fluorescent light bulbs (CFLs) when your older incandescent bulbs burn out.
• Unplug appliances when you're not using them. Or, use a ‘smart’ power strip that senses when appliances are off and cuts ‘phantom’ energy use.
• Wash clothes in cold water whenever possible. As much as 85 per cent of the energy used in machine washing clothes goes in heating the water.
• Use a drying rack or clothesline to save the energy otherwise used during machine drying.
2. Save water to save money
• Take shorter showers to reduce water use. This will lower your water and heating bills too.
• Install a low-flow showerhead. They are inexpensive and the water and energy savings can soon pay back your investment.
• Plant drought-tolerant native plants in your garden. Many plants need minimal watering. Find out which occur naturally in your area.
3. Saving petrol means more money and better health
• Walk or bike to work. This saves on petrol/diesel and parking costs while improving your cardiovascular health and reducing your risk of obesity.
• Consider telecommuting if you live far from your work. Or move closer. Even if this means paying more rent, it could save you money in the long term.
• Lobby your local council to increase spending on pavements and cycle lanes. These improvements can pay huge dividends in improving your health and reducing traffic.
4. Eat smart
• If you eat meat, have one meatless meal a week. Meat costs a lot - and it's even more expensive when you consider the related environmental and health costs.
• Buy locally-raised, humanely-produced and organic meat, eggs, and dairy products whenever you can.
• Buying from local farmers keeps money in the local economy.
5. Don’t drink bottled water
• Use a water filter to purify tap water instead of buying bottled water. Not only is bottled water expensive, it generates large amounts of container waste.
• Have a reusable water bottle, preferably aluminium rather than plastic, with you when at work or travelling.
6. Think before you buy: your purchases have a real impact – for better or worse
• Go online to find new or carefully used second-hand products (to re-use).
• Check out garage sales, ‘thrift’ stores, and factory outlets for clothing and other everyday items.
• When making purchases, make sure you know what is and what isn’t ‘value for money’.
7. Borrow instead of buying
• Share power tools and other appliances. Get to know your neighbours while cutting down on the number of things cluttering your cupboards or garage.
• Borrow from libraries instead of buying books and films. This saves money - and the ink and paper that go into printing new books.
8. Keep electronics out of the rubbish
• Keep your mobile phones, computers and other electronics as long as possible.
• Donate or recycle them responsibly when the time comes. E-waste contains mercury and other toxics and is a growing environmental problem.
• Recycle your mobile phone.
• Ask your local council to set up an electronics recycling and hazardous waste collection event.
“There were other suggestions – such as using Waste King to collect and recycle all your unwanted materials – but merely following these 25 suggestions, grouped into eight categories, should go some way towards making your community a lot greener,” Currie commented.
“And, of course, you could always add: ‘Use Waste King because we guarantee to recycle over 84 per cent of all the waste we collect – and stop it going to landfill unnecessarily’,” he smiled.
About Waste King Ltd
A specialist collections, clearance and recycling company, Waste King serves the domestic and commercial markets. It focuses not only on providing a friendly, efficient, cost-effective service but also one which is environmentally friendly. In particular, Waste King’s uniformed, Environment Agency-licensed staff take time to ensure that the maximum amount of waste can be recycled and that all the waste it collects is disposed of in an environmentally friendly way.
Waste King was formed, in 2007, by Glenn Currie and Andy Cattigan, who had experience in sales and IT respectively and were keen to ‘do something to help the environment’.
Waste King Ltd
Unit 13, Frogmore Industrial Estate, Hemel Hempstead, HP3 9RW
Tel: 0800 234 3657/ 01442 216784; Web: http://www.wasteking.co.uk
Contact: Glenn Currie, Waste King Ltd, 0800 234 3657 / 07761 577001; email@example.com
PR contact: Bob Little, Bob Little Press & PR, 01727 860405; firstname.lastname@example.org
This release was published on openPR.
Permanent link to this press release:
Please set a link in the press area of your homepage to this press release on openPR. openPR disclaims liability for any content contained in this release.
You can edit or delete your press release Waste King’s Eight Steps to Being Greener here
News-ID: 208729 • Views: 1496
More Releases from Waste King
Captain Tom Moore becomes a Waste King customer
Asked by the BBC to collect some unwanted items from the Bedfordshire home of Captain Sir Tom Moore, Waste King, the environmentally friendly waste collection and recycling services specialist, were delighted to help. The BBC had been doing some filming at Captain Tom’s home in Marston Moretaine and, originally, asked Waste King to supply a four-yard skip to take the resulting waste. However, when the BBC learned about Waste King’s ‘Man
Third Major Green Apple Environment Award for Waste King
Waste King, the environmentally friendly waste collection and recycling services specialist, was named a winner in this year’s Green Apple Awards, at a ceremony held in the Houses of Parliament, at the Palace of Westminster, in London on 25th November. Rewarding environmental best practice and open to any organisation, community or individual, this year’s Awards were presented – in their 25th anniversary year – by the Green Organisation’s founder, Roger
International professional squash tournament in Tring sponsored by Waste King
Waste King, the environmentally friendly waste collection and recycling services specialist, has become one of the sponsors of the 2019/20 PSA World Tour, the international squash circuit organised by the Professional Squash Association (PSA). This month, the PSA World Tour tournament comes to Tring Squash Club, in Hertfordshire – close to Waste King’s headquarters. The winner of the tournament – which runs from 15th to 19th October and is known as
Waste King Helps Make a Young Boy’s Garden Dreams Come True
Waste collection and recycling services specialist, Waste King, is one of four companies which have collaborated to help Tristan, a five-year old boy in Milton Keynes who has Down’s Syndrome, to play safely in his own garden. In the spring this year, Tristan’s father – Luke Timberlake – entered a ‘Magical Garden Makeover’ competition run by Dobbies Garden Centres and MyBuilder.com, an online marketplace helping homeowners find tradesmen. The competition attracted
More Releases for Currie
Data Center Construction Market To Witness Astonishing Growth - 2026 CORGAN, Cur …
Global data center construction market is projected to register a CAGR of 11.1% in the forecast period of 2019 to 2026.Global Data Center Construction Market By Infrastructure Type (electrical Infrastructure, mechanical infrastructure, general infrastructure), Data Center Type (Tier I, Tier II, Tier III, Tier IV), Organization Size (small organization, medium organization, large organization), Vertical (Banking, financial services and insurance, IT & Telecommunications, Government & Defense, Healthcare, Retail Colocation, Power &
E-bike Market 2018 By Key Players: Currie Technologies, Derby Cycle, Jiangsu Xin …
An e-bike, commonly known as an electric bicycle, is a bike that has an electric motor aligned to the pedals of the bicycle, which supplies the differential force required for the forward movement of the bicycle. Earlier, e-bikes were bulky because of the use of lead-acid batteries; however, with the use of nickel-metal hydride, nickel-cadmium cell, or lithium-ion (Li-ion) batteries in newer models, the weight of e-bikes has reduced significantly.
E-bike Market Analysis by Top Key Players Currie Technologies, Derby Cycle, Jian …
An e-bike, commonly known as an electric bicycle, is a bike that has an electric motor aligned to the pedals of the bicycle, which supplies the differential force required for the forward movement of the bicycle. Earlier, e-bikes were bulky because of the use of lead-acid batteries; however, with the use of nickel “metal hydride, nickel “cadmium cell, or lithium-ion (Li-ion) batteries in newer models, the weight of e-bikes has
E-bike Market 2018 Global Analysis By Key Players – Currie Technologies, Derby …
WiseGuyReports.Com Publish a New Market Research Report On –“ E-bike Market 2018 Global Analysis By Key Players – Currie Technologies, Derby Cycle, Jiangsu Xinri, Zhejiang Luyuan, eZee”. Description:- An e-bike, commonly known as an electric bicycle, is a bike that has an electric motor aligned to the pedals of the bicycle, which supplies the differential force required for the forward movement of the bicycle. Earlier, e-bikes were bulky because of the use
E-bike Market Future Outlook to 2025: Currie Technologies, Derby Cycle, Jiangsu …
Qyresearchreports include new market research report “Global E-bike Market Professional Survey Report 2018” to its huge collection of research reports. An e-bike, commonly known as an electric bicycle, is a bike that has an electric motor aligned to the pedals of the bicycle, which supplies the differential force required for the forward movement of the bicycle. Earlier, e-bikes were bulky because of the use of lead-acid batteries; however, with the use
Global E-Bike Market 2018 Key Players: Currie Technologies, Derby Cycle, Jiangsu …
E-Bike Market: WiseGuyReports.com adds “E-Bike Market 2018 Global Analysis, Growth, Trends and Opportunities Research Report Forecasting to 2025” reports to its database. Executive Summary This report studies the global E-bike market status and forecast, categorizes the global E-bike market size (value & volume) by manufacturers, type, application, and region. This report focuses on the top manufacturers in North America, Europe, China, Japan, South Korea, India and other regions (Southeast Asia, Central & South