Crazy Job Search Ideas
1. "One of my clients received the following advice from a previous career coach: Never send a résumé when applying for a job, even when it is requested in the advertisement. Just send a pitch letter requesting a meeting with a company executive." -- Lavie Margolin, job search advisor, Lion Cub Job Search
2. "I think this may be the craziest one I have ever heard. When I was looking for my first full time job, a friend's then-girlfriend (now ex-wife) told me, quite seriously, that I could assure myself a job by participating in a magical ritual involving crystals and mystical incantations. I asked her if I needed to sacrifice a chicken as well and she was offended, explaining that it was not the correct type of 'Magick' [sic]." -- Eli Lehrer, national director, Center on Finance, Insurance and Real Estate, The Heartland Institute
3. "I think the worst advice I ever saw was in a LinkedIn group. Someone suggested that, in order to be able to get a chance to speak to someone at the recruiting company, you should [mail] a cover letter saying you have enclosed your CV -- but don't enclose the CV, and leave the envelope open so that it looks like it fell out in the post. The logic was that they'd then call you up to let you know, and you could have a dialogue. I personally would just think 'That person can't even seal an envelope, I wouldn't want to recruit them.'" -- Antony, marketing manager
4. "I have gotten some strange advice in my day -- one of the milder ones was to tape a plastic spoon to my CV and write on it (the letter), 'Need to eat.' But the one that takes the cake is to stand at a busy intersection in the upper-west part of midtown Manhattan wearing one of those sandwich boards -- a bulletin board that you wear, full body length -- over a nice suit that reads something like, 'Will write for food' or some variation therein. I am reaching the point where I am even considering it, though I'd request a full-time position rather than food because I fear that some employers might take me up on the offer: Write a story, get a sandwich!" -- Ed Lieber, freelance editor/writer
5. "I used to know someone who would comb the obituary section of the New York Times for job openings" -- Paul Solomon, Solo Management
6. "The absolute most-crazy search advice that I have heard has been typically coming from supposed job search gurus and career coaches who advise job seekers to pare down their universe of job prospects to focus only on the most promising ones. As someone who has looked at hundreds of thousands of sales prospects that I have generated for my sales teams over the past decades, I can state with conviction that it is impossible to tell which prospects are the best, which might lead to other prospects that are good and which are not worth wasting one's time on at an early stage in the process. By following the crazy advice that I have just described, a job candidate is really blowing his or her chances to get the best job that s/he can.
Be advised that if your seeking crazy job search ideas, you must keep in mind to be unconventional, not eccentric. Increase the number of job opportunities you are seeking, jobs outside your comfort zone that can still utilize your skills. Also work on the quality of your resume. Customize it for each job opportunity you are seeking. Be smarter and work harder to achieve your goals in these tough economic times.
BriteTab is a new kind of online resume, empowering job-seekers to show off their personality and experience and stand out from the crowd by combining the best elements of traditional resumes and video resumes. In today’s competitive and ever-changing job market, it can be a challenge to effectively communicate what you have to offer and get employers to take notice. Traditional paper resumes often get lost in a sea of submissions, and few hiring managers have the time or patience to sit through lengthy, all-video applications. With a BriteTab online resume, you’ll gain an instant edge over the competition when you’re able to show hiring managers what you can offer in an innovative way that truly catches their attention.
140 S. Dearborn St.
Chicago, IL 60603
This release was published on openPR.
Permanent link to this press release:
Please set a link in the press area of your homepage to this press release on openPR. openPR disclaims liability for any content contained in this release.
You can edit or delete your press release Crazy Job Search Ideas here
News-ID: 154590 • Views: 1200
More Releases from BriteTab
Specialty Job Boards
It is no easy task on specialty job boards especially when seeking great employees can be hard enough, but in specialty fields, its an even more difficult task. There are plenty of people looking for a job, but to know which ones to choose can be a handful. Here are some sites that can help you narrow your search no matter what type of employees your looking for: 1.) Design Field: Having
Top Ten Jobs in 2010
With a recession in session and an economy that covets and upward turn, job seekers or even those who wish to change careers are wondering what are the top jobs that bring not only personal satisfaction, but aim to boost your bank account? Below, BriteTab has researched the top ten jobs of 2010. These top ten jobs of 2010 range from positions requiring statistical data to maintaining the hygiene of
Resume and Application Tips
Even if you submit a resume and cover letter, most employers will also ask that you submit a job application specific to their company. Job applications allow employers to ensure that they receive consistent information from all candidates. A job application becomes a type of contract between you and your potential employer that states that all information you have submitted is reliable. Before you complete an application, either online or
The Power of Keywords to Enhance your Resume
Utilizing the best keywords for a resume can enhance the effectiveness of your resume. If you could virtually ensure that your potential employer would be interested in setting up an interview with you just because of a view key words used in your resume, wouldn’t you want to know what those words were? Job-hunting can be a tedious and confusing task. However, today many employers who scan resumes are now
More Releases for Solo
Antechamber Solo show Ana Mazzei
Ana Mazzei Antechamber 12 November 2018– 5 January 2019 In her first solo exhibition at Green Art Gallery, Ana Mazzei fully embraces the notion of theatricality and spectatorship, both very central to her practice, to present a group of new works specifically created for the space. Titled Antechamber, the show is staged as an intermediary space between the real world outside the gallery and an imaginary ‘other space’. Walking along this in-between space, viewers have to negotiate
Magia del Momento: Antonio Marra Solo Show
JanKossen Contemporary is pleased to present MAGIA DEL MOMENTO, Antonio Marra’s premiere solo show at the gallery, on view from September 7th to October 14th, 2017. Antonio Marra’s 3D paintings are simultaneously familiar and revolutionary. Although nostalgic of Frank Stella’s vibrantly coloured geometric works, Marra further enhances the experience of abstraction by injecting a shock of the unexpected. Using precise mathematical calculations, Marra introduces sculptural features that elevate his paintings.
'INFLATION' a solo show by FANAKAPAN
BSMT SPACE is very proud to present 'INFLATION’ - the first solo show by acclaimed Street Artist Fanakapan, opening on the 8th of April with a private viewing on April 7th. One of the most impressive artists on the scene, with a style of his own that he continually redefines, Fanakapan is set to push the boundaries of his visual masterpieces further in what will be a stellar exhibition that
Solo Tapas - The next Starbucks?
Solo Tapas - (SoloTapas.com), the Spanish Tapas Sandwich sensation has made its US debut official by inking a lease at the famed W Hotel Hollywood in California at 6250 Hollywood Boulevard, Suite 100, Hollywood, California also known for its famous star walk. Solo Tapas will be opening a total of 5 locations within the next 6-8 months and is anticipating to franchise the system nationwide by the 2nd Quarter of
Solo 401(k) May Benefit Entrepreneurs
RALEIGH, N.C. (May 24, 2011) ― As many Americans have lost their jobs during the recent turbulent economic times, some are looking to start their own business as a way of getting back on track. The roadblock facing them is that securing a bank loan has become extremely difficult. W. Landon Watts (www.LandonWatts.com), wealth strategist for Raleigh-based Banyan Rock & Talent, believes that the solo 401(k) may benefit individuals looking
Portal: PAUL COTE, a solo exhibition
Chelsea’s Agora Gallery is proud to announce the opening of Portal: PAUL COTE, a solo exhibition. Scheduled to run from August 17, 2010 through September 07, 2010, the collection will feature a captivating selection of Paul’s new works. About Paul M. Cote: Paul M. Cote stumbled upon art in his search to find his spirit and self. For him, art comes from an emotional place within, an unleashing of previously hidden