Comments on Facebook and Instagram posts can be helpful, but they can also be hurtful. Sometimes it’s necessary to delete comments on these social media sites in order to avoid the potential negative effects that they can cause. Social media is an extremely effective marketing tool. It allows business owners to advertise their products and services and lets them connect with and interact with consumers. However, while interacting with the public can certainly be beneficial, that’s not always the case. Not all interactions on social media are positive. There are occasions when people leave negative comments on posts that can tarnish the reputation of a business. Fortunately, marketers can delete comments on their posts that they don’t want others to see. Below, we explain how to delete comments on two of the most widely used social media sites, Facebook and Instagram.
Deleting Comments on Facebook
Comments can be deleted on Facebook on both the desktop version and the app version. Below are detailed instructions that explain how to remove comments on both versions of the social media site.
- Log into Facebook. First, you need to log into your Facebook account on your desktop or laptop computer.
- Locate the post. Find the post that you want to delete a comment from and locate the comment you want to remove.
- Hover over the comment. Place your cursor over the comment. A series of three dots (…) should appear on the right side of the comment. Move your cursor so that it sits on top of the three dots. A notification that reads “remove this” should appear on your screen.
- Remove the comment. Click on the three dots. A small “delete” window will appear. You will have the option to just delete the comment, or delete the comment and block the user. Note that when you choose to block a user, you will no longer be able to interact with each other. If you’re friends with the user and block him or her, he or she will also be unfriended.
- Confirm your option. Decide which option you would like and click on the blue confirm button. The comment will automatically be deleted.
- Open your Facebook app.
- Open your profile. Click on the three horizontal lines located on the far right of your screen underneath the search section and open your profile.
- Locate the post. Scroll through until you find the post that contains the comment you want to delete.
- Click on the comment. Hold your finger over the comment. A selection of options should appear, including copy, hide, delete, and cancel.
- Delete the comment. Select the delete option. A screen will appear that asks you to confirm your selection. Click on confirm and the comment will automatically be deleted.
Note that deleting and hiding a comment are not the same thing. If you choose to hide a comment, you will no longer be able to see it, but other users can still see it. Make sure you select the “delete” option.
Deleting Comments on Instagram Posts
Deleting comments on Instagram posts involves the same process for Android, iOS, and Windows devices. The following steps explain how to remove comments from Instagram posts.
- Open your Instagram app. Click on the Instagram app on your device to open it.
- Locate the post. Scroll through your Instagram page to locate the post that you want to delete a comment from. Click on the post.
- Select the comments icon. Tap on the comments icon. It looks like a conversation bubble below your post. Alternatively, you can tap on any comment. Both options will open the comments area.
- Select the comment you want to remove. Press and hold the comment you want to delete. Action buttons will be displayed, including an exclamation point (!) and a trash can. The exclamation point allows you to report a comment to Instagram and the trash can allows you to delete it.
- Choose the option you prefer. If you choose the trash can, you will be asked to confirm your request to delete the comment. Once you confirm the request, the comment will be deleted from your post. If you choose the exclamation point, you a pop-up will display that asks you to report if the comment is spam, a scam, or abusive content.
Whether it’s because a comment is malicious, negative, sends a bad message to others, or because you simply don’t like it, sometimes deleting what others say on your Facebook or Instagram posts is necessary. By following the steps outlined above, you can quickly and easily remove any comments you do not want attached to your posts.