News Release (© JiSign / Fotolia.com)
Also known as a press release, a news release is a statement that has been prepared and distribute to the press. These releases are usually created and distributed by public relations firms, government agencies, schools, businesses, and the like. In this article, we will discuss the importance of the news release and share an example of how you can create a successful release.
News releases have been around for decades. While they have always been important, in today’s marketplace, they are more important than ever.
News releases have become an essential tool that businesses can use to promote their company.
Key goals of News Releases
Press releases have key goals. Some of the primary reasons why they are so important is because:
- They are a tool to announce a new product or service offered by a business, which allows the product or service to be found by a business’ targeted audience.
- They improve the image of a brand. Since press releases are so easy to publish and distribute, businesses can send out multiple presses releases with ease. The more news releases a company publishes and the more often, the more a brand’s image can be improved.
- They can be used as a tool for search engine optimization. When specific keywords that are related to a business are used in a press release, it can be optimized so that it – and the company – can be found more easily on a search engine.
Steps for Writing a News Release
If you have never drafted a press release before, you want to make sure that you know how to create one so that it does what it is intended to do. You’ve likely looked up samples of press releases to use as a guideline; however, they can be difficult to locate and even harder to replicate. Though they are important, they can be hard to write, especially if you have never written one before.
Below, you will find steps to follow that will help you draft an effective press release.
- Use the Right Language. Using the right language is crucial. If you want your press release to be issued immediately, print the words “For Immediate Release” at the top of it. If you want it to be published on a later date (which is often the case in a product launch), print “Please Hole Release Until (insert date)” at the top.
- Include Company Logo and Colors. Branding is a crucial part of all marketing efforts, including press releases. Make sure to include your company’s logo and colors to make your press release identifiable and to give it impact. Place them in the headline section of the press release so they can be seen immediately. You should also incorporate your contact details in the top portion of the press release instead of at the bottom so it makes more of an impact.
- Don’t Forget Keywords in the Headline. Include targeted keywords in the headline of your press release. This will make it easier for search engines to locate and rank your press release. It also helps to ensure that the media and readers will understand the content of the press release. Avoid keyword stuffing; instead, include your keywords in a natural way throughout the release.
- Compose a Summary Paragraph. A summary paragraph allows readers to immediately understand what your press release is about and if they should read it. The summary paragraph should be short; five sentences, at most. It should also be written in a way that it will give readers a brief overview of the information your release contains.
- Add the Location and Date. Though press releases are intended for large audience, it is important to tie them into your geographical location. To do this, include the location of the release, as well as the date; the city, the state, the month, the day, and the year that it will be published. Including this information will put your press release into context and let readers know about the date and location of the piece.
- Include the Five Ws and the One H in the Lead. In the lead or opening paragraph, make sure to address the: