All-New Range Rover Evoque Makes Strong Sustainability Statement with Help from SABIC’s Lightweight Materials
“We are delighted to showcase the new Range Rover Evoque cross-coupe with our advanced lightweight materials at Chinaplas,” said V. Umamaheswaran (UV), director of automotive products and marketing, Innovative Plastics. “The Evoque is a world-class vehicle with a unique blend of style, performance and sustainability. Our team at Innovative Plastics is proud to have played a part in providing Land Rover and its tier suppliers with lightweight and environmentally progressive plastic solutions that have helped to set new standards for fuel economy and CO2 emissions in the premium compact SUV segment.”
According to Land Rover’s estimates, the Range Rover Evoque is capable of an exceptional sub- 130g/km carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions level. The automaker applied a range of advanced lightweight materials to make the Evoque the lightest Range Rover ever at just under 1,600kg. Land Rover used several resins from Innovative Plastics for various applications to support improved fuel consumption and lower emissions, such as Noryl GTX* resin for the front fenders, Xenoy iQ* resin for the pedestrian energy absorber and STAMAX® long glass fiber polypropylene (LGFPP) for the instrument panel and inner door modules.
Land Rover’s work with Innovative Plastics goes back to the design of the acclaimed LRX model, the concept vehicle upon which the Range Rover Evoque is based. Consistent with the LRX vehicle, Innovative Plastics gave Land Rover a wide selection of high-quality, innovative material options to choose from to help the automaker meet its goal of delivering one of the most efficient and environmentally responsible vehicles in its class, while also bringing the levels of luxury and performance customers expect from a new Range Rover.
Sustainability Solutions for a Global Market
Advanced material solutions that address top sustainability challenges and trends across the world are needed to develop a vehicle like the Evoque, which will be sold in more than 160 markets globally. Innovative Plastics’ materials met this standard and, in addition to sustainability benefits and improved performance, contributed to design freedom, part consolidation and system cost reduction. The following are major application areas using Innovative Plastics’ advanced materials:
• Front fenders: Plastic Omnium chose lightweight Noryl GTX resin for the front fenders, reducing weight by 2.9kg versus metal for better fuel economy and, in turn, cutting carbon dioxide emissions by an estimated 30kg over the vehicle’s life. Noryl GTX resin delivers high impact resistance and high temperature resistance up to 200C. The resin also optimizes design freedom, reduces costs and improves quality. Parts molded from Noryl GTX resin can be online painted along with the metal Body-In-White (BIW), avoiding the need for secondary operations and ensuring a perfect color match. This conductive resin does not require a primer step prior to painting.
• Fuel filler door: ITW (Illinois Tool Works) chose Noryl GTX resin for the fuel filler door. As with the fenders, the part can be painted online along with the rest of the BIW. This streamlined approach avoids quality issues and improves aesthetics.
• Pedestrian energy absorber: Magna International selected Xenoy iQ resin for this critical component. This environmentally progressive material contains a significant percentage of upcycled post-consumer waste such as polyethylene terephthalate (PET) water bottles, helping to divert them from landfills. Xenoy iQ resin reduces weight to help improve fuel economy and cut emissions, while also providing efficient energy-absorption countermeasures to meet pedestrian protection and low-speed vehicle damageability requirements.
• Instrument panel and inner door modules: STAMAX LGFPP enabled International Automotive Components’ designers to create strong, lightweight parts offering higher stiffness and lower density than alternate materials. STAMAX LGFPP is used in the instrument panels and in the inner door modules. In addition to weight-out benefits, these materials demonstrate excellent mold flow, which means less material is needed to deliver equivalent stiffness and strength.
• Mirror system with molded-in color: Samvardhana Motherson Reflectec chose Geloy* resin for this application because it provides high flexural modulus and low vibration for image stability, good wear characteristics, high heat resistance and impact strength. Geloy resins are highly weatherable, offering exceptional durability in some of the harsh outdoor environments that the Evoque is made for. Molded-in black color provides a dramatic design statement without the need for secondary painting.
• Rear spoiler: This part improves aerodynamic performance and lends style to the Evoque’s silhouette. Magna International chose lightweight Xenoy resin and Valox* resin for this application because of the materials’ great impact resistance and outstanding aesthetic characteristics.
For additional information on Innovative Plastics’ automotive solutions, please go to www.sabic-ip.com or www.sabicautomotive.com. For technical product inquiries, please contact us at www.sabic-ip.com/prtechinquiry.
About SABIC Innovative Plastics
SABIC Innovative Plastics is a leading, global supplier of engineering thermoplastics with an 80-year history of breakthrough solutions that solve its customers’ most pressing challenges. Today, SABIC Innovative Plastics is a multi-billion-dollar company with operations in more than 35 countries and approximately 9,000 employees worldwide. The company continues to lead the plastics industry with customer collaboration and continued investments in new polymer technologies, global application development, process technologies, and environmentally responsible solutions that serve diverse markets such as automotive, electronics, building & construction, transportation, and healthcare. The company’s extensive product portfolio includes thermoplastic resins, coatings, specialty compounds, film, and sheet. SABIC Innovative Plastics (www.sabic-ip.com) is a wholly owned subsidiary of Saudi Basic Industries Corporation (SABIC).
About Saudi Basic Industries Corporation
Saudi Basic Industries Corporation (SABIC) ranks among the world’s top petrochemical companies, and is a global market leader in the production of polyethylene, polypropylene, advanced thermoplastics, glycols, methanol and fertilizers. SABIC manufactures with a global footprint in Saudi Arabia, the Americas, Europe and Asia Pacific. The company operates in more than 40 countries across the world with 33,000 employees worldwide. It has significant research resources with 18 dedicated Technology & Innovation facilities in Saudi Arabia, the USA, the Netherlands, Spain, India and China. SABIC recorded a net income of SR 21.59 billion(US$ 5.73 billion) in 2010, and sales revenues totaled SR 152 billion (US$ 40.5 billion).
# # #
® SABIC is a trademark of Saudi Basic Industries Corporation
® STAMAX is a trademark of SABIC Petrochemicals B.V.
* Trademarks of SABIC Innovative Plastics IP B.V.
This release was published on openPR.
Permanent link to this press release:
Please set a link in the press area of your homepage to this press release on openPR. openPR disclaims liability for any content contained in this release.
You can edit or delete your press release All-New Range Rover Evoque Makes Strong Sustainability Statement with Help from SABIC’s Lightweight Materials here
News-ID: 175776 • Views: 2055
More Releases from SABIC Innovative Plastics
SABIC Launches Portfolio of Antimicrobial Compounds at MD&M West to Help Custome …
According to a 2011 report by the World Health Organization, in 2002 in the United States alone approximately 99,000 deaths were linked to healthcare associated infections (HCAIs).1 Here at MD&M West (booth #1701), SABIC’s Innovative Plastics business today introduced powerful new tools to help medical device manufacturers reduce HCAIs among patients and clinicians. SABIC’s nine new antimicrobial compounds featuring silver technology have been tested for log reduction values – the
SABIC’s 3D-Formed LEXAN™ Sheet Increases Visibility, Safety, Comfort and Per …
Operators of logging equipment require exceptional visibility and protection against debris or large objects that may enter their cabin and cause serious injury in forest environments, such as tree limbs and other machinery parts. So when Rottne Industry AB needed a high-performance glazing material for the windshields and windows of its harvesters and forwarders, it turned to SABIC’s Innovative Plastics business for support. Working with SABIC and its distributer, Vink
Mitsubishi Motors Corporation Selects SABIC NORYL GTX™ Resin for 2013 Outlande …
SABIC’s Innovative Plastics business today announced that Mitsubishi Motors Corporation (MMC) has chosen SABIC’s next-generation NORYL GTX™ 989 resin for the front fenders of its 2013 Outlander Sport crossover. The vehicle’s fenders are the first to be produced using 2-cavity injection molding with NORYL GTX resin, allowing MMC to cut cycle times in half and reduce tooling costs. Other major benefits of the SABIC material include weight savings vs. steel
SABIC Makes a Splash at Fakuma with New NORYL™ Resin, Meeting Tightening Globa …
Here at the Fakuma trade fair, booth #B5-5506, SABIC’s Innovative Plastics business today announced a new NORYL™ resin that not only complies with current European and global sustainability regulations governing materials used in potable water systems, but also with new, tougher regulations slated to go into effect in 2016. Developed at SABIC’s Fluid Engineering Center of Excellence in the Netherlands, NORYL FE1630PW resin is a 30-percent glass-reinforced polyphenylene ether (PPE)
More Releases for Rover
New PDF On Space Lander and Rover Market 2021: Enormous Growth Of Space Lander a …
𝐒𝐩𝐚𝐜𝐞 𝐋𝐚𝐧𝐝𝐞𝐫 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐑𝐨𝐯𝐞𝐫 𝐌𝐚𝐫𝐤𝐞𝐭 Industry Report Coverage: Key Growth Factors and Challenges, Segmentation and Regional Outlook, Top Industry Trends and Opportunities, Competition Analysis, COVID-19 Impact Analysis and Projected Recovery, and Market Sizing and Forecast. 𝐊𝐄𝐘 𝐌𝐀𝐑𝐊𝐄𝐓 𝐈𝐍𝐒𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓𝐒 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐒𝐩𝐚𝐜𝐞 𝐋𝐚𝐧𝐝𝐞𝐫 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐑𝐨𝐯𝐞𝐫 𝐦𝐚𝐫𝐤𝐞𝐭 𝐯𝐚𝐥𝐮𝐞 𝐰𝐚𝐬 𝐚𝐧𝐭𝐢𝐜𝐢𝐩𝐚𝐭𝐞𝐝 𝐭𝐨 𝐫𝐞𝐠𝐢𝐬𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐢𝐧𝐜𝐫𝐞𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐚𝐥 𝐠𝐫𝐨𝐰𝐭𝐡 𝐰𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐡 𝐔𝐒𝐃 𝟒𝟑𝟏.𝟑𝟏 𝐌𝐢𝐥𝐥𝐢𝐨𝐧 𝐢𝐧 𝟐𝟎𝟐𝟏 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐢𝐬 𝐩𝐫𝐨𝐣𝐞𝐜𝐭𝐞𝐝 𝐭𝐨 𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐜𝐡 𝐔𝐒𝐃 𝟗𝟗𝟖.𝟐𝟏 𝐌𝐢𝐥𝐥𝐢𝐨𝐧 𝐢𝐧 𝟐𝟎𝟐𝟖, 𝐝𝐞𝐜𝐞𝐥𝐞𝐫𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐚𝐭 𝐚 𝐂𝐀𝐆𝐑
Luxury Vehicle Market Is Booming Worldwide | Volvo, Land Rover, MINI
HTF MI added a new research study in its database with title 'Luxury Vehicle Market Size, Share, Outlook and Growth Opportunities 2019-2025' that includes detailed analysis, Competitive landscape, forecast and strategies. The study covers geographic analysis that includes regions like North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, South America, Middle East and Africa and important players/vendors such as Mercedes Benz, BMW, Audi, Lexus, Volvo, Land Rover, MINI, Cadillac, Porsche, Infiniti, Acura, Jaguar, Smart,
Profitable Strategic Report on Gig Based Business Market 2019-2025| Leading Play …
Due to technological advances, the Gig Based Business market is trending globally with very high CAGR growth. Gigabit-based businesses are open markets where temporary positions are common and where contract members and organizations work together. They modify several types of contract members. Studies show that more than 40% of Americans are private contractors. Top Vendors of Gig Based Business Market: • Rover • HopSkipDrive • Freelancer • Fiverr • Favor Delivery • Care.com • TaskRabbit • Guru • Upwork • DoorDash • BellHops • Turo Request for Sample Report with TOC: @ https://www.reportconsultant.com/request_sample.php?id=5684 Report Consultant has
Jaguar Land Rover takes Cohda off-road
British brand Jaguar Land Rover has used Cohda Wireless connected vehicle systems in a pioneering research project to enable future autonomous cars to drive over any surface or terrain. Jaguar Land Rover’s multi-million pound Autonomous all-terrain driving research project envisages a self-driving car that can navigate both on-road and off-road as well as in difficult weather conditions. The project has used Cohda Wireless MK5 On-Board Units and software stacks and applications
Land Rover Celebrates One Year of Range Rover Evoque Production
Halewood UK - As demand for the Range Rover Evoque continues around the world, employees at JLR's Halewood manufacturing plant are celebrating one year of production. Twelve months ago, when the first vehicle rolled off the production line, the Evoque had already generated an exceptional market response with more than 18,000 advance orders from customers worldwide. This interest continues today with demand for the Evoque driving sales of almost 80,000
The Rover Shoppe and Motorcars Ltd., both of Houston, Texas have entered into an …
The Rover Shoppe and Motorcars Ltd., both of Houston, Texas have entered into an agreement whereby the Rover Shoppe would merge into the Motorcars family. Vick Hester owned and operated The Rover Shoppe for eleven years specializing exclusively in the repair of Land Rover vehicles of all vintages. Motorcars Ltd. is a 39 year old company operating three other repair shops in Texas – Austin, Dallas and Houston.