More Landlords Need To Issue 1099s For Rental Property Expenses
The new law considers virtually all landlords to be conducting a trade or business. “So, just like any other business, they have to issue a 1099 for anyone they pay more than $600 in rental expenses in a year,” said Jean-Philippe Choudhry, a member of the IRS’s Electronic Tax Administration Advisory Committee. Choudhry is also chief process officer with 1099 Pro, Inc.
The law applies to payments made after December 31 of this year. “This would have been much more of a burden a few years ago,” pointed out Choudhry. “These days, it’s a matter of collecting the information and plugging it in to a filing website such as eFileMyForms.com or eFileForBusiness.com."
The act also doubled penalties for failing to correctly report form 1099 and other information. “This shows that the IRS is serious about better compliance with information reporting laws,” Choudhry noted.
According to Choudhry, 1099 reporting is a 3-step process. “First you issue a 1099 to the payee. Then you receive corrections, if any, from the payee. Then you file the forms with the IRS.”
He offers some tips for landlords new to 1099 reporting:
1. Make sure you get a W-9 from everyone you pay. “Do it before you hand over the check, so you can ensure that you get the information,” advises Choudhry. This simple form asks for basic information such as the payee’s name, address, and tax ID number. It’s available at http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw9.pdf .
2. Verify the W-9 information before you file the 1099s. Says Choudhry, “It’s not necessary to obtain a new W-9 for every payment, but it’s a good idea to check the information every year before filing your 1099s.”
3. Currently, you don’t have issue 1099s for corporations, but you do for individuals, partnerships and many LLCs. The W-9 will usually help you determine whether a payee needs a 1099.
4. Use your accounting software to track payments to your 1099 payees over the course of the year.
5. Use a filing website (such as eFileMyForms.com or eFileForBusiness.com) to mail out the 1099s, and to later file the information with the IRS. Says Choudhry, “These websites are set up to help you pull together the information, print and mail the forms, and process the filing. They also hold everything on a secure server so you can use it again the following year.”
1099 Pro Inc. provides software and services that help businesses and individuals file their 1099 and related tax forms. The company is headquartered in Calabasas, California.
23901 Calabasas Road, Suite 2080
Calabasas, CA 91302
Contact: Steve Hughes
This release was published on openPR.
Permanent link to this press release:
Please set a link in the press area of your homepage to this press release on openPR. openPR disclaims liability for any content contained in this release.
You can edit or delete your press release More Landlords Need To Issue 1099s For Rental Property Expenses here
News-ID: 146632 • Views: 803
More Releases for Choudhry
Robotics Prosthetics Market Current Dynamics, Business Opportunities, Trends, Si …
Robotic prosthetics are artificial limbs which combine the prosthetics with robotics to offer fully functional prosthetics which allow patients to carry out normal functions with their artificial limbs. This factor alone has boosted the robotic prosthetics market. Market Research Future's survey of the global robotics prosthetics market has found that the growth of the market is anticipated at a CAGR of 9.5% during the forecast period from 2016 to 2027. Robotics
auspicious days marking Diwali, The Festival of Lights
Diwali or Deepavali, the 5 day Festival of Lights is one of the most significant festivals in Indian culture. The actual day of Diwali is traditionally celebrated on the festival’s third day, which this year falls on Wednesday 7th November, 2018. It sees millions attend firework displays, prayers and celebratory events across the world every autumn. The festival is celebrated by Hindus, Sikhs and Jains; bringing family and friends
13 Hottest on trend Marble inspired must haves Gifts this season!
Marble, the veiny stone renowned for solidity, classicism and hints of ancient Roman architecture. Intricately rendered in a number of ways to suit the design world, the alluring motif is back this season with Marble-ous vengeance! With some of the world’s most notable structures such as the Pantheon in Rome to more contemporary buildings such as London’s Marble Arch all adopting the lavish pattern, the stone has become a global symbol
DIMENSION DATA ACQUIRES US-BASED NEXUS
Dubai, UAE –28 April 2014 –Dimension Data, the USD6 billion ICT solutions and services provider today announced that it has acquired 100% of Nexus for an undisclosed sum. Founded in 2004 and headquartered in Valencia, California, Nexus is a privately-owned provider of advanced IT solutions serving enterprises, mid-sized business and public sector clients, with industry specializations in education, retail, hospitality and healthcare. The acquisition of Nexus expands Dimension Data’soperations in the