BBB Offers Advice on Thwarting Shoplifters This Holiday Season
The National Retail Federation (NRF) estimates that retail theft now accounts for more than $40 billion per year in losses. In the past, shoplifting reports were primarily focused on stealing pricey items. Some law enforcement agencies are now reporting spikes in losses when it comes to the everyday basics, such as groceries.
“It’s imperative that businesses take a serous approach to discouraging and stopping thieves from the moment an individual walks into their store,” says Beverly Baskin, president and CEO of the Better Business Bureau of Eastern North Carolina. “If they don’t, shoplifters will come back again and again because they know the risk of getting caught is low.”
BBB offers a few simple tips to retailers on identifying shoplifting tactics and steps they can take to prevent theft:
Signs of a Shoplifter
• While shoplifters come in all shapes and sizes, there are a few common traits to look out for including baggy clothes, loitering, an awkward walk, nervousness and lack of eye contact.
• Common techniques include swapping price tags, layering stolen clothes in dressing rooms, creating a diversion during which they will pocket items and the “grab and dash” technique with items close to the doors.
• A well-trained staff is the business owner’s best defense against shoplifters. Staff should be educated on how to identify shoplifters and their techniques, as well as empowered to take action.
• Good customer service is a great way to thwart shoplifters. Staff should be encouraged to greet customers when they enter the store. It’s a friendly gesture, but it also tells potential shoplifters that the staff is vigilant and paying attention.
Store Layout and Policies
• Ideally, businesses should be free from blind spots where shoplifters can take cover. Remedies are as simple as installing mirrors or rearranging displays.
• In order to limit theft of expensive items, such goods can be displayed behind locked glass and kept a safe distance from the entrance.
• Shoplifters will often steal items in order to return them for a refund. To minimize this, retailers should have a strict policy requiring a receipt for returns.
• BBB also recommends business owners create a detailed policy for steps employees should take when confronting a shoplifter. While some businesses are wary of contacting the police to report shoplifters due to the threat of lawsuit, many experts advocate that businesses should report all shoplifters to the police.
Get Outside Help
• There are many businesses that provide various services to prevent shoplifting. This includes electronic surveillance tag systems, closed circuit cameras and undercover shoppers. Retailers can also retain the services of security consultants who can train employees and recommend specific steps the business can take to reduce theft.
• Local law enforcement is also a superb resource and can offer advice on preventing shoplifting, as well as updates on current trends in the area.
For more advice on protecting small businesses this holiday season, visit BBB online at www.bbb.org.
About BBB of Eastern North Carolina:
The Better Business Bureau of Eastern North Carolina is a 501 (c)(6) not-for-profit corporation serving 33 counties in eastern North Carolina. The organization is funded primarily by BBB Accredited Business fees from more than 3,200 local business and professional firms. The BBB promotes integrity, consumer confidence and business ethics through business self-regulation in the local marketplace. Services provided by the BBB include, reports on companies and charitable organizations, general monitoring of advertising in the marketplace, dispute resolution services, and consumer/business education programs. All services are provided at no cost to the public, with the occasional exception of mediation and arbitration. Visit www.bbb.org.
This release was published on openPR.
Permanent link to this press release:
You can edit or delete your press release BBB Offers Advice on Thwarting Shoplifters This Holiday Season here
News-ID: 62615 • Views: 942
More Releases from BBB of Eastern North Carolina
BBB Warns of Scammers Misrepresenting "Cash for Clunkers" Program
RALEIGH, N.C. (August 5, 2009)—Better Business Bureau serving Eastern North Carolina (bbb.org) is warning consumers to be wary of e-mail and phone calls attempting to exploit consumer curiosity about the "Cash for Clunkers" program. The Car Allowance Rebate System—also known as Cash For Clunkers—is a government program that gives people a $3,500 to $4,500 discount when they trade in an older, less fuel efficient vehicle to purchase or lease a newer,
BBB Warns of Extended Auto Warranty Companies
Local Complaints Continue Against National Vendor, USfidelis RALEIGH, N.C. (July 28, 2009)—Better Business Bureau of Eastern North Carolina (bbb.org) announces today it has seen an increase in complaints and inquiries concerning one of the largest auto warranty companies in the United States. From April 7 through July 20 of 2009, consumers have filed 206 complaints against USfidelis. For the same period last year, consumers filed 132 complaints against the company. In the
Courtney Smith Joins BBB of Eastern North Carolina
Serving as Communication and PR Specialist RALEIGH, N.C. (July 21, 2009)—Better Business Bureau of Eastern North Carolina (bbb.org) announces today the appointment of Courtney Smith as its communication and public relations specialist. In this role, Smith is responsible for working with the public and media, developing educational videos and other new media applications, as well as planning and executing special events and community activities. She joins BBB after serving as community
BBB Warns Consumers About Loan Scam
Company Using a Vacant Winston-Salem Address RALEIGH, N.C. (July 7, 2009)—Better Business Bureau of Eastern North Carolina (bbb.org) is warning consumers about an advance-fee loan company that is targeting individuals, via the internet, who have poor credit history and difficulty obtaining traditional loans. Consumers are reporting that Bloomfield Lending Group is using a vacant Winston-Salem, N.C. address and claiming to have been in business for 10 years. According to the property manager
More Releases for Business
Global Interferon Market Business Growth, Business Opportunities, Business Outlo …
Albany, NY, USA / 16 Oct 2018: - A New fresh research report presented by KD Market Insights provides a detailed analysis of “Global Interferon Market Size, Trends, Opportunity and Forecast to 2023” research report will include all the major trends and technologies that play an important role in market growth in the predicted span of 6 years. It also presents the overview of industry players, advantages, challenges the business
Global Intramuscular Immune Globulin Market Business Growth, Business Opportunit …
Albany, NY, USA / 16 Oct 2018: - A New fresh research report presented by KD Market Insights provides a detailed analysis of “Global Intramuscular Immune Globulin Market Size, Trends, Opportunity and Forecast to 2023” research report will include all the major trends and technologies that play an important role in market growth in the predicted span of 6 years. It also presents the overview of industry players, advantages, challenges
PRESS RELEASE FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE FOR: Jackpot Money, LLC Charlotte, NC - This is to introduce Jackpot Money, LLC. Classified as a tax-preparation company. We use Sweepstakes Promotional Software as our year-round promotion. We offer our services to all Americans above the age of 18. Although we are making breakthroughs through some states that do not allow our services, we will maintain our goal in saving money, and supporting various agencies which
A school of Spanish for foreigners organizes courses of Business Spanish in preparation to the Official Exams of the Chamber of Commerce and Industry of Madrid. Valencia. Knowing a language also means to know specific vocabularies. The aim of most students of Spanish as a foreign language is not only that of improving their fluency, but also that of widening their vocabulary in specific areas that will be useful for finding
Dropship Business - A Lucrative Online Business
There are many businesses that can be run on the comfort of home but you cannot be assured of profit with every. Thus, a smart entrepreneur always looks for the opportunity that can guarantee a good profit quotient. This attentiveness in thought of business persons brought the concept of dropship business. This is a business that enables you to earn profit without being involved in selling out and shipping small to
B2BTradeWorld.com – New Business to Business Portal India
B2B Trade World Offers leading online business to business portal & global e-business, Indian Trade Directory, online catalogue, Buying selling trade leads & offers, business web pages, yellow pages, India, white pages, India Manufactures exporters, suppliers & importer from India The B2B Trade Links Pvt.Ltd. is a business-to-business portal for serious people interested in Global business. Welcome to our b2btradeworld portal which gives you a platform to improve your company’s