HITTING THE ‘HIGH’ NOTES – TOP 10 FLYING SONGS -As “Like A G6” flies high in the UK music charts, private jet booking network PrivateFly.com presents its rundown of other aircraft-inspired hits–
Adam Twidell, CEO of private jet booking network PrivateFly.com comments: “The song is an unapologetic ode to a party lifestyle, with the G650 the ultimate symbol of luxury and exhilaration. Of course many private jet customers are time-starved business people rather than party-loving pop stars, but the use of aircraft imagery in music is nothing new. This most mythologized of all forms of transportation is firmly embedded in popular culture.”
So in celebration of the success of “Like A G6”, PrivateFly.com presents its own Top 10 rundown of other aircraft-inspired hits:
1. “Come Fly With Me” by Frank Sinatra. This iconic 1958 hit has since spawned numerous cover versions. Written when leisure air travel was a new and exciting concept, the lyrics celebrate exotic destination opportunities such as Bombay, Peru and Acapulco, as well as the pure joy and romance of being airborne: ‘Once I get you up there, where the air is rarefied; We'll just glide, starry eyed’.
2. “Jet Airliner” by The Steve Miller Band. Reaching number eight in the US billboard chart, this 1977 rock classic refers to a 707 airliner. It’s largely a homesick lament, but culminates in celebrating that the ‘big ol' jet airliner’ can also ‘carry me to my home’.
3. “Leavin’” by Jesse McCartney. In 2008, US heartthrob McCartney’s R&B track reached number one on the iTunes Top Songs list. The lyrics refer to ‘flying on the G5’, aka Gulfstream’s current long-range jet G550 (set to be replaced by G650).
4. “You’re So Vain” by Carly Simon. Simon’s 1972 hit and signature song has caused much speculation about the identity of the self-absorbed, jetset lover portrayed in the lyrics. The line ‘you flew your Learjet up to Nova Scotia’ caused many to believe it was Warren Beatty, whose mother was raised in Nova Scotia. Simon has never divulged.
5. ”Enola Gay” by OMD. Not so much a celebration of the glory of flying, this controversial 1980 hit is one of many songs about military aircraft, the title referring to the name of the US Air Force B-29 bomber, responsible for dropping the world’s first atomic bomb on Hiroshima in 1945.
6. “Aeroplane” by the Red Hot Chilli Peppers hit the charts in 1996. Here the aeroplane is directly compared to the power of music, as a source of escapism and freedom. Like many of their songs, rather dark lyrics (‘I like pleasure spiked with pain and music is my aeroplane’) contrast with upbeat funk rock melodies, including child chorus vocals by guitarist Flea’s daughter and her classmates.
7. “Learning To Fly” by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers was only a modest success when released in 1991 but, like many flying songs, has become a firm favourite on playlists. Petty’s inspiration came from seeing a TV interview with a pilot who said that it wasn’t hard to learn to fly, but coming down is fairly challenging. Fans have debated whether Petty’s interpretation was actually about ‘getting high’ in a narcotic sense - or simply the challenges of life.
8. “Leaving On A Jet Plane” was written (and later recorded) by John Denver but the best known version was released in 1969 by folk trio Peter, Paul & Mary. This much-covered and highly popular song has been used in numerous TV and film scores including Armageddon and Glee. The lyrics are a lover’s lament at leaving, and indeed the original title was "Oh Babe I Hate To Go". Denver's producer, Milt Okun, convinced him to change the name; no doubt recognising the benefits that a ‘jet plane’ title would bring to the song’s enduring marketing potential.
9. “Take Me To The Pilot” by Elton John was released in 1970 and was a modest hit, though was quickly eclipsed by “Your Song”, which was released at the same time and became the record’s A-side. The meaning of the song is rather unclear, indeed even writer Bernie Taupin has admitted in interviews that he isn’t sure what it is about. But it does draw on the imagery of a pilot as the ultimate symbol of control and navigation: ‘Take me to the pilot for control; Take me to the pilot of your soul’.
10. “Back In The USSR” by The Beatles. What Top 10 music listing would be complete without a Beatles song? Their 1968 hit opens and closes with the sounds of a jet aircraft landing and refers to a flight from Miami Beach to the USSR on ‘BOAC’ – British Overseas Airways Corporation, Britain’s state airline at the time and forerunner to British Airways. Again the song’s key theme is the joy of returning home and Paul McCartney has stated that it was written as a parody of The Beach Boys “California Girls” and a tribute to Chuck Berry's "Back in the USA".
Adam Twidell continues “Many people’s experience of flying these days is reduced to a functional - and often stressful - airline flight. PrivateFly.com’s Top Ten rundown is a welcome reminder of the magic and inspiration of aviation, whether in its ability to transport to exciting destinations, returning home or simply the joy of being airborne.”
PrivateFly is an online booking network that makes it quicker, easier and more cost effective to arrange private jet charter.
With over 2700 operators registered worldwide, PrivateFly is the only online aggregator for private jet charter in Europe.
PrivateFly combines online efficiency and transparency with offline expertise to offer a full-service VIP charter service to direct customers and partners. The bespoke software has been created in-house specifically to meet the needs of charter customers and operators.
In February 2010 PrivateFly launched the world’s first iPhone application to provide instant private jet pricing on a mobile phone.
PrivateFly was announced as one of the Smarta 100 companies 2010, by a judging panel including Dragon’s Den’s Deborah Meaden and other leading entrepreneurs, such as Bebo founder Michael Birch. The company also won the innovation category of the Best Business Awards in February 2010.
Founded in 2007, PrivateFly is based in St Albans, Hertfordshire and earlier this year secured first round investment funding to expand the business within the UK and selected international markets.
For further information, interviews or imagery, please contact:
T: 020 8543 6582
6 St Peters St,
AL1 3LF, UK.
This release was published on openPR.
Permanent link to this press release:
Please set a link in the press area of your homepage to this press release on openPR. openPR disclaims liability for any content contained in this release.
You can edit or delete your press release HITTING THE ‘HIGH’ NOTES – TOP 10 FLYING SONGS -As “Like A G6” flies high in the UK music charts, private jet booking network PrivateFly.com presents its rundown of other aircraft-inspired hits– here
News-ID: 154109 • Views: 1285
More Releases from PrivateFly
PrivateFly.com Teams Up With Chris Evans For BBC Children In Need
Private jet booking service, PrivateFly.com, has teamed up with the BBC’s Chris Evans to provide a private jet for the Radio 2 host’s Children in Need Auction. The company has helped to arrange a jet for the 8 Go Mad in Monaco trip, for which listeners were able to bid live on air on Thursday 15 November. Winning bids for the package totaled over £1 million. Four pairs of tickets were
PRIVATEFLY.COM RAISES £2M FUNDING-
-Private aviation market shakes up as disruptive technology platform for private jet hire announces successful fundraising- PrivateFly.com, the leading online aggregator for private jet charter, today announces its plans for expansion, following successful investment fundraising of £2 million generated from eight private investors. The company, whose network accesses over 7000 aircraft based globally, says the funds will be used to deliver a roll-out to new international markets, significant usability
PRIVATEFLY.COM TO POWER ADDISON LEE’S NEW PRIVATE JET SERVICE
-Leading online private charter network announces a partnership with UK’s largest minicab company- PrivateFly.com has announced a new distribution strategy to expand its reach to London business travellers through a partnership with Addison Lee. For the first time ever, Addison Lee customers can now book private jet charter alongside premium minicabs, chauffeur vehicles, taxi-bikes and couriers. Business jet hire will be offered as part of a seamless ground-to-air transportation package via Addison
PRIVATEFLY.COM LAUNCHES PA PRIVILEGE PROGRAMME
-Private jet hire platform offers new support and reward programme for executive assistants- PrivateFly.com, Europe’s leading online booking platform for private jet charter, has announced the launch of its PA Privilege Programme, a dedicated support service for executive PAs. The programme has been launched in response to the specific needs of the executive PA sector, such as speed of service and 24-hour support. To celebrate the launch, the company is
More Releases for Fly
Global Fly Ash Market
Global Fly Ash Market with figures as recent as 2017 and forecasts up to 2024 provides an overview of the industry including its definition, size, share, growth, applications and manufacturing technology. Report also explores the major industry players in detail as well as company profile, product specifications, capacity and production value. The Global Fly Ash Market accounted for USD 4.60 billion in 2016 and is projected to grow at a CAGR
Fly Fishing Reel Market
This report studies the Fly Fishing Reel market, a fishing reel is a cylindrical device attached to a fishing rod used in winding and stowing line. The reel is fly reel is a single-action reel, normally operated by stripping line off the reel with one hand while casting the rod with the other hand. Visit Here For Full Reports Description: https://www.reportsandmarkets.com/reports/asia-pacific-fly-fishing-reel-market-to-2022-1622854 The scope of the Report: This report focuses on the Fly Fishing
Global Fly Swatter Market Research Report 2017
Summary This report studies Fly Swatter in Global market, especially in North America, Europe, China, Japan, Southeast Asia and India, focuses on top manufacturers in global market, with capacity, production, price, revenue and market share for each manufacturer, covering JMK IIT Wonky Hill Products PrimeHomeProducts VIAEON Great Value SG Elucto Zap-it! The Terminator JJMG Market Segment by Regions, this report splits Global into several key Regions, with production, consumption, revenue, market share and growth rate of Fly Swatter in these regions,
Hi-Fly Marketing appoints new General Manager
South African based aviation services firm Hi-Fly Marketing has announced the appointment of Christobal Henner to the position of General Manager. Hi-Fly Marketing, the South African based aviation services firm has strengthened its corporate team with the appointment of Christobal Henner as General Manager responsible for strategic business development and key account management. This appointment is in response to Hi-Fly Marketing’s growing presence in Africa. Operating since 2008, Hi-Fly
airberlin and Meridiana fly start codeshare flights
In the future airberlin and the Italian airline Meridiana fly will be offering flights from Italy to Germany under joint flight numbers. The agreement is implemented for flights departing from 30th October 2011. At the beginning of the winter flight schedule airberlin flights will be leaving from Bari, Brindisi, Catania, Florence, Milan, Naples, Olbia, Palermo, Rome, Venice and Verona for eight destinations in Germany within the framework of the codeshare agreement.
WorldsFishermen Announces Fly Fish Micro-blogging
UNITED STATES (February 2011) – Worldsfishermen announces fly fish micro-blogging for fishermen. This mirco-blogging is a great way to capture what other fishermen are experiencing with their fly fish techniques and fishing trips. Fly fish is a warmer month type of fishing, which means there is less time available in the year for this type of fishing. Fishing less may impact some fishermen as they forget certain techniques of fly fishing.