SGS Keeps Manufacturers Up-to-Date with Europe’s New Medical Device Regulation (MDR)
During the transition period Notified Bodies (NB) may grant device certification according to the MDD. The certificates are valid for a maximum period of five years, until May 27, 2024, unless the certified product undergoes significant changes. This does not include certificates issued according to Annex IV, which must expire by May 27, 2022.
Current NB designations will remain valid until the Directive expires. Following this, they must continue the surveillance of the certificates they have granted until the end of their validity. Applications for NB designation according to MDR are currently being processed, with the procedure expected to take up to a year. SGS Fimko aims to be among the first MDR-accredited NBs.
MDR introduces a number of changes, including:
• Definition of medical device is expanded to include products used for the prediction of disease and for the cleaning, disinfection or sterilization of medical devices. A new group has also be created for products that do not have a medical use but that must be controlled for safety reasons, e.g. cosmetic contact lenses, cosmetic implants, and electromagnetic brain stimulation devices. The Commission can update this list as required
• Importers and distributors now have separate, defined duties. In practice, manufacturers must prepare for this through their own agreements
• MDR requires all medical device manufacturers to have a quality system in place, irrespective of the risk class of their devices. As is the case currently, NB will only assess manufacturers of products with a higher risk class
• Manufacturers need a designated person responsible for regulatory compliance and the person must meet defined competence requirements. In large manufacturers, this person must be an employee; small manufacturers can employ a consultant who is permanently at the manufacturer’s disposal
• Each device requires a Unique Device Identification (UDI) that should be compatible with the FDA system. This will require an update to the current Eudamed database
• MDR replaces essential performance with the phrase, “general safety and performance requirements”, which have expanded considerably with clarified requirements
• Requirements concerning a product’s technical file have been expanded and clarified; it will be worthwhile compiling the technical file for all new products in accordance with Annex II of the MDR
• Requirements for the product and the accompanying instructions and marketing material have been specified – misleading claims are expressly forbidden
• Current 18 classification rules replaced with 22 rules. Essential changes have only occurred in relation to software classification
• Prior guideline documents are now practically incorporated into the legislation. e.g. provisions concerning the clinical evaluation of a product are now considerably more detailed and binding
For manufacturers, harmonized standards may be the easiest way to demonstrate compliance with the requirements of the law. Different editions of the standards are associated with their DOCOPOCOSS (Date of Cessation of Presumption of Conformity of Superseded Standard) – an abbreviation describing the date when an older edition of a standard can no longer be used to demonstrate compliance. Currently there are no harmonized standards for MDR, but state-of-the-art standards can be applied with caution.
Stakeholders should be aware that, in relation to medical devices, the DOCOPOCOSS dates for two standards have either passed or are approaching cessation:
• Main standard EN 60601-1:2006 expired on December 31, 2017. Products launched on the market after this date must meet the requirements of the newer standard EN 60601-1:2006 + A1:2013. In practice, this involves either re-testing or at least a GAP analysis to demonstrate the product also meets the requirements of the updated standard edition
• EMC standard EN 60601-1-2:2007 will expire on December 31, 2018. As the newer standard EN 60601-1-2:2014 has a significant number of new measurements and requirements, re-testing is the only practical option for manufacturers
Moving to an updated standard requires collaboration between the testing laboratory and the client. Each device must have its future usage environment and, among other requirements, essential performance, defined to ensure it is maintained during testing. Stakeholders must also consider which functions will be monitored during testing and what is the definition of a situation where performance no longer meets requirements.
Manufacturers are advised to start considering and documenting these matters immediately.
SGS Medical Devices Services
SGS’s medical device testing, certification, audit and training services help companies navigate the complexities of international medical device regulations to bring their products to market quickly whilst ensuring compliance with the required regulations and standards. Learn more about SGS’s Medical Devices Services: [www.sgs.com/consumermedicaldevices]
For more information, please contact:
Chief Technical Officer, Medical Devices
Tel: +358 9 6963 450
SGS is the world’s leading inspection, verification, testing and certification company. SGS is recognized as the global benchmark for quality and integrity. With more than 90,000 employees, SGS operates a network of over 2,000 offices and laboratories around the world.
1, Mons Calpe
This release was published on openPR.
Permanent link to this press release:
Please set a link in the press area of your homepage to this press release on openPR. openPR disclaims liability for any content contained in this release.
You can edit or delete your press release SGS Keeps Manufacturers Up-to-Date with Europe’s New Medical Device Regulation (MDR) here
News-ID: 1310096 • Views: 616
More Releases from SGS
SGS Explains How E-Valuator® Helps Governments Beat International Trade Fraud
SGS, the world’s leading testing, inspection and certification company, has published an article looking at the issues surrounding international trade fraud and the ways digitalization can help governments and customs authorities beat the criminals. Global trade was values at USD 19 trillion in 2019. For some governments, 30% of their total revenue base comes from international trade. Long, complex supply chains benefit consumers with more affordable products and greater choice,
Experienced Willy Fabritius Joins SGS
With over a quarter of a century of experience in IT, information security and international standards, Willy Fabritius has joined world-leading testing, inspection and certification company SGS. Willy accepted the role of Global Head of Strategy and Business Development, Information Security Assurance this summer. He says: “I am delighted to join SGS, which has the incredible reputation of providing superb information security solutions across the world. “I will use my in-depth knowledge
SGS opens doors to new markets with publication of latest ‘Global Access Progr …
SGS, the world’s leading inspection, verification, testing and certification company, is pleased to announce publication of the latest version of its Global Access Program (GAP) for Electrical & Electronics Products white paper. With the continuous growth of worldwide trading business, and more countries and regions establishing their own type-approval systems, the GAP white paper has become an essential reference for Electrical & Electronics (E&E) manufacturers and importers looking to reach new
Ecuador Issues Revised Draft Technical Regulation on Food Contact Ceramics
Ecuador has announced a revised proposal that, if accepted, will update its technical regulation for food contact ceramics. The latest proposal, designated Ecuadorian Technical Regulation RTE UNEN 010 (2R) – ‘Ceramic Tableware Intended to Come into Contact with Food’, was circulated attached to World Trade Organization (WTO) document no. 20-4675 on July 8, 2020. It has a new structure and contains several important changes, including: • Revision to existing definitions and
More Releases for MDR
Lawsuit filed for Investors in shares of McDermott International, Inc. (NYSE: MD …
An investor, who purchased shares of McDermott International, Inc. (NYSE: MDR) (OTC: MDRIQ), filed a lawsuit over alleged violations of Federal Securities Laws by McDermott International, Inc. Investors, who purchased a significant amount of shares of McDermott International, Inc. (NYSE: MDR) (OTC: MDRIQ) between September 20, 2019 and January 23, 2020, have certain options and for certain investors are short and strict deadlines running. Deadline: September 16, 2020. NYSE: MDR, OTC:
Managed Detection and Response (MDR) Market: Industry Size, Share, Growth, Forec …
MarketResearchReports.Biz announces addition of new report "Managed Detection and Response (MDR) Market - Global Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trends, and Forecast 2017 - 2025" to its database. The objectives of this study are as follows: To define, describe, and forecast the "Managed Detection and Response (MDR)" market by type, application, component, delivery model, end user, and region To provide detailed information regarding major factors influencing market growth (drivers, restraints, opportunities, and industry-specific
Paladion Announces Fully Integrated AI-Driven MDR at Gartner Security & Risk Man …
Paladion, a global leader in cyber defense solutions, today announced fully integrated AI-Driven Managed Detection and Response Services at Gartner Security & Risk Management Summit 2018. Targeted artificial intelligence (AI) from Paladion now supports security experts for faster, more accurate, more effective threat anticipation, security analytics, and response actions. The new-generation high-speed cyber defense powered by Paladion’s AI.saac platform lets human security experts defend against the increasing volume and diversity
Indian Retail Industry Poised for Big Growth Post MDR Withdrawal
Chennai, December 27, 2017: Come January 2018, retailers can rejoice as they don’t need to pay Merchant Discount Rate (MDR) charges to banks for every debit card payment they receive. The government’s recent decision to abolish MDR for small and medium retail merchants over the digital transactions through debit card up to Rs 2000 has come as a welcome relief for thousands of retail businesses across the country as they were
Managed Detection and Response (MDR) Market Investment Research Report 2025
Managed detection and response (MDR) improves incident response capabilities and threat detection monitoring through a turnkey approach which detects threats that have evaded other controls. Risk and security management providers are understanding the importance of MDR services and its impact for their environments. New service providers have developed solutions to support businesses seeking to increase their incident response and threat detection capabilities. Additionally, MDR vendors deliver services for purchasers looking
Clinical Executives Meet to Discuss MDR at Popular Clinical Research Conference
Aligning Clinical Research Strategies with EU Medical Device Regulation, Providing Greater Data to Support Product Registration, Enhancing Clinical Budget (Berlin, Germany) – Q1 Production’s European Medical Device Clinical Research conference will return this January 23-24, 2017 to Berlin, Germany. The Medical Device Regulation’s impact on clinical operations will be discoursed, as more trials are now required by health authorities across the Union due to the re-registration of CE marked