Hackers Continue to Target the Healthcare Sector in the U.S.
Earlier this month, the University of Washington Medicine (UW Medicine) revealed an even more serious leak. Due to a misconfigured server, the data of 974,000 patients had been left exposed on the internet for three weeks.
“Cybercriminals value medical information. It is easy to sell it on the dark web and then use it for fraud, such as identity theft, blackmail or extortion,” says Ruby Gonzalez, Head of Communications at NordVPN. “According to some sources, Social Security numbers are sold for $1 on the dark web, and credit card details cost up to $100. But full medical records can be worth more than $1,000, as they are every identity thief’s dream.”
Healthcare sector breaches are extremely dangerous, as they can expose patients’ privacy in brutal ways. Patient’s name and contact details are only the tip of the iceberg in such a leak. It may also expose their Social Security number, financial data, date of birth, health insurance information, and medical data, such as received treatments and diagnosis.
“The level to which healthcare sector is affected shows that it lags behind in system updates as well as in security education for its employees. Breaches are far more expensive than investment in cybersecurity,” comments Ruby Gonzalez, Head of Communications at NordVPN. “Healthcare organizations must take additional steps and treat cybersecurity responsibly. There’s no doubt that 2019 will witness more attacks on vulnerable hospitals and clinics.”
Cyber attacks on healthcare providers are on the rise not only in the U.S. but in Australia as well. Last year, one report proved that Australian private health providers were the most breached sector.
NordVPN’s advice about protecting healthcare companies from cyber attacks:
1. Educate employees. Healthcare companies should have regular online security training for employees. It should cover the dangers of misplacing vulnerable information or using company IT assets for personal purposes, better password management skills, and how to spot phishing and other cyber attacks.
2. Invest in multi-layer detection and recovery systems. Installing such a system helps to identify and prevent malware installation.
3. Don’t use FTP servers operating in anonymous mode. According to the FBI, “some criminal actors from abroad are trying to target protected healthcare information (PHI) and other personally identifiable info (PII) from medical facilities to intimidate, harass, and blackmail business owners.” FBI was alerting healthcare companies against the use of FTP servers operating in anonymous mode.
4. Check suppliers. Healthcare companies should choose their suppliers carefully and work with them to tighten the supply chain security. The new trend is for attackers to look for the weakest link in a supply chain to install their malware, which will affect all the companies along the line.
4. Back up all data. Data should be backed up on external drives and stored away. It's one of the best ways to protect an organization if servers with all the data stored are terminated. This protects from ransomware attacks as well.
5. Use a VPN. Healthcare organizations usually use intranet for internal communications, which include local area networks (LAN) as well as on-site networks. When employees need to access the organization’s intranet while traveling or working remotely, they should use virtual private networks (VPNs) for a secure connection. VPNs create an encrypted tunnel that protects the connection from public access.
6. Create an action plan and get ready. Healthcare organizations should assess their risks and make a list of the most vulnerable systems. If an attack does occur, there needs to be a plan in place. The speed and efficiency of the reaction may determine how much damage will be done to the organization.
7. Choose cybersecurity vendors carefully. Many medical organizations are scrambling to hire experienced IT staff after recent ransomware attacks shocked the healthcare world. However, it’s wise to get consulting from external experts who can evaluate the vulnerabilities of the entire organization.
NordVPN is the world’s most advanced VPN service provider that is more security oriented than most VPN services. It offers double VPN encryption, ad blocking & Onion Over VPN. The product is very user-friendly, offers one of the best prices on the market, has over 5,000 servers worldwide and is P2P friendly. For more information: nordvpn.com.
Delta Bank Building
Panama City, Panama
Public Relations Manager
This release was published on openPR.
Permanent link to this press release:
Please set a link in the press area of your homepage to this press release on openPR. openPR disclaims liability for any content contained in this release.
You can edit or delete your press release Hackers Continue to Target the Healthcare Sector in the U.S. here
News-ID: 1627876 • Views: 894
More Releases from NordVPN
The US is the 5th most vulnerable to cybercrime according to new research
Americans are at a high risk of becoming victims of cybercrime, according to the new Cyber Risk Index by NordVPN. The US has a high-income economy, advanced technological infrastructure, urbanization, and digitalization. However, these same factors increase the prevalence of cybercrime. NordVPN’s Cyber Risk Index covers 50 countries comprising 70% of the world population. The US ranks as the 5th most vulnerable to cybercrime out of the analyzed countries. What increases the
Five Things You Must Teach Your Parents to Be Safe Online
It’s official — social media and smartphones are no longer the exclusive domain of millennials and generation Y. A new study has found that no less than 67% of 65-74s in the UK and the USA use the internet, with 34% having social media accounts. “Although a lot of seniors are embracing smart and social technology, they need to be reminded about its dangers. Online scammers can take advantage of
Top 5 Common Online Threats That Parents Should Know
September 20, 2019. Every new school year brings an increase in online risks. That’s because kids start using electronic devices more — both inside and outside the classroom. Nevertheless, adults still lack understanding of the most common risks their children face. “If you are aware of the possible threats, you can take steps to avoid them. That’s why parents need to know everything about the dangers
How Your Data Can be Stolen, Where it Goes Afterwards, and How You Can Protect Y …
Headlines about massive data breaches affecting millions of users have never been so frequent as now. In March, a security breach involving an email marketing company may have exposed the private data of 800 million people. This makes it one of the biggest data breaches so far, potentially affecting about 1 out of every 9 people. But where do all these huge datasets go after the leak, and is it
More Releases for VPN
Exclusive Report Virtual Private Network (VPN) Market 2019 Growing with Major Em …
Virtual Private Network (VPN) Market 2019 Industry Research Report study provides information on market trends and development, drivers, capacities, technologies, and on the changing dynamics of Virtual Private Network (VPN) Market. A thorough analysis of these elements has been accepted for defining the future growth prospects of the global Virtual Private Network (VPN) market. Get Sample Copy of this Report -https://www.orianresearch.com/request-sample/1011752 Market Overview: The Global Virtual Private Network (VPN) market 2019 research
Virtual Private Network (VPN) Market | Size | Analysis | Share | Outlook by key …
MarketResearchNest.com adds “Global Virtual Private Network (VPN) Market 2019 by Company, Regions, Type and Application, Forecast to 2024” new report to its research database. The report spread across in 121 pages with table and figures in it. A virtual private network (VPN) extends a private network across a public network, and enables users to send and receive data across shared or public networks as if their computing devices were directly connected
Firewall And Virtual Private Network (VPN) Market 2019 Precise Outlook - TorGuar …
Global Firewall And Virtual Private Network (VPN) Market Insights, Forecast To 2025 This report tracks the major market events including product launches, development trends, mergers & acquisitions and the innovative business strategies opted by key market players. Along with strategically analyzing the key markets, the report also focuses on industry-specific drivers, restraints, opportunities and challenges in the Firewall And Virtual Private Network (VPN) market. This research report offers in-depth analysis
VPN One Click launches PrivateVPN
VPN One Click launches PrivateVPN PrivateVPN offers users dedicated VPN server and a Dedicated IP Address VPN One Click a popular VPN service with over 20 million customers globally and servers spread across over 41 countries has launched a special VPN service called PrivateVPN. The newly launched PrivateVPN by VPN One Click allows users to connect to a dedicated VPN server having a dedicated IP address. VPN One Click was founded in
VPN Software Market Trending Technologies, Remarkable Developments and Key Playe …
Marketprognosis.com Publish a New Market Research Report On “Global VPN Software Market Size, Status and Forecast 2025” which contains global key player’s survey information and forecast to 2025. Overview of the Global VPN Software Market: The report spread across 101 pages is an overview of the Global VPN Software Market Size, Status and Forecast 2025. These report study based on the VPN Software Market. It is a complete overview of the market,
Virtual Private Network (VPN) Global Market Forecast to 2023 : Nord VPN, TorGuar …
Research By Markets / Press Release / Information Technology, "Global Virtual Private Network (VPN) Market by Manufacturers, Countries, Type and Application, Forecast to 2023", 106 Pages, 11 Companies Profiled. This report focuses on the Virtual Private Network (VPN) in Global market, especially in North America, Europe and Asia-Pacific, South America, Middle East and Africa. This report categorizes the market based on manufacturers, regions, type and application. TOC and List of Tables &